cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dynamic Vlan Assignment--Any large scale alternatives to obsolete VMPS?

dimzaaaaa
Level 1
Level 1

I've had the pleasure, or displeasure for those who may, of working on a 600-700 devi

ce(7000-10000) user base network with Open vmpsd as the vlan assignment method. Granted it's been rendered obsolete, and no longer supported on newer devices, is there an alternative vlan assignment scheme flexible enough to work well with this size of a network, and with NAC deployment taking foot, work well with this technology?? What vlan assignment solutions would you recommend in a network with thousands of ports in need of effective vlan assignment, yet secure enough to pass US Gov Standards.

2 Replies 2

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I've had the pleasure, or displeasure for those who may, of working on a 600-700 devi

ce(7000-10000) user base network with Open vmpsd as the vlan assignment method. Granted it's been rendered obsolete, and no longer supported on newer devices, is there an alternative vlan assignment scheme flexible enough to work well with this size of a network, and with NAC deployment taking foot, work well with this technology?? What vlan assignment solutions would you recommend in a network with thousands of ports in need of effective vlan assignment, yet secure enough to pass US Gov Standards

Hi,

What i would suggest go with Dynamic VLAN Assignment with RADIUS Server,check out the below link for the same !!

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a008076317c.shtml

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Dim,

you may want to consider also 802.1X for vlan assignment if there are security requirements

Vlan can be assigned during 802.1X port authentication:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/46sg/configuration/guide/dot1x.html#wp1240472

But I'm afraid it can be not compatible with Cisco NAC.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card