Views
Helpful
Replies

Effects on Fabric Extenders during ISSU - Nexus 7000

clark.adam.p
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

There is nothing which outlays the effect of doing an ISSU on the FEXs within either of the following configuration guides:

* Cisco Nexus 2000 Series Fabric Extender Software Configuration Guide

* Cisco Nexus 7000 Series NX-OS High Availability and Redundancy Guide

The scenario I need to confirm is this:

1. 2224 FEXs are connected to a N7K-M132XP-12L

2. ISSU Upgrade on the secondary to new version

3. Supervisor switchover

What happens to the FEX when the new supervisor has new software?

This documents what happens on initialisation:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus2000/sw/configuration/guide/rel_6_0/b_Configuring_the_Cisco_Nexus_2000_Series_Fabric_Extender_rel_6_0_chapter_01.html#con_1201471

But nothing is said for while it is actively forwarding traffic.

I found this for a 5000, and 4.2(1)N1(1), but no guide for 7000 or anything later.  I am assuming it will be similar, I just want to find it documented.

Cheers

Adam

1 Reply 1

Software maintenance simplification: The Cisco Nexus 2000 Series software is embedded in the Cisco Nexus parent switch software. The fabric extender is a ready-to-use device that automatically downloads the software image from the Cisco Nexus parent switch in the same way that a line card downloads software from the supervisor engine in a modular chassis. In-Service Software Upgrade (ISSU) on the fabric extenders provides the capability to perform transparent software upgrades, reducing downtime and allowing customers to integrate the newest features and functions with little or no effect on network operation for Ethernet, storage, and converged network environments.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps9441/ps10110/data_sheet_c78-507093.html

Reading this I would conclude that the fex stays up during the upgrade...

I have also a cisco case open for a previous issue on the 7000. I will ask the question also to the cisco engineer.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card