Views
Helpful
Replies

eFSU on VSS from major to minor IOS version [12.2(33)SXI3 to 12.2(33)SXI4a]

krahmani323
Level 3
Level 3

Hello Community,

I am preparing a VSS eFSU upgrade from 12.2(33)SXI3 to 12.2(33)SXI4a but I am wondering if there is or not any restriction in performing a VSS eFSU from major to minor version (and vice versa) with the same features set.

I do not see any guidelines or restriction about this fact here =>

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/vss.html#wp1169499

Morever a VSS eFSU example  (from minor to major) is given in this document  - p. 79 - http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Education/CCVE_DepGd/ccve_sba_LAN_DepGd.pdf

In short, I would like to know if there is some software compatibility check to do beofre VSS eFSU (for example a tool on Cisco.com) and if yes how ?

I tried this command but I am not able to interpret the output :

#############################################

VSS# show issu comp-matrix stored
Number of Matrices in Table = 2

(1) Matrix for RSP-P-M(21) - RSP-P-M(21)
        ==========================================
        Start Flag (0xDEADBABE)

My Image ver:  12.2(18)S
                Peer Version    Compatibility
                ------------    -------------
                12.2(67)S               Comp(3)
                12.2(99)S               Comp(3)

etc.....

12.2(81)S               Comp(3)
                12.2(82)S               Incomp(1)
                12.2(83)S               Incomp(1)
                12.2(84)S               Comp(3)

#############################################

Thanks in advance for your outputs.

Cheers

Karim

3 Replies 3

Brandon Lynch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey Karim,

From what you've described, this should be supported provided that you're upgrading from a native-to-native (*.mz) or modular-to-modular (*.vz) IOS image.  We do not support eFSU when moving from a modular to native image or vice versa.  Outside of that, you should be able to move from SXI3 to SXI4a using this procedure.  Can you please also provide the following command from the switch -

show issu comp-matrix negotiated

I'd like to check it as well to see if it provides further information.  Thanks.

Brandon

Hello Brandon !

I appreciate your feeback and confirmation about my eFSU upgrade. I will get the "show issu comp-matrix negotiated" command output as soon as I come back to my customer site.

Cheers.

Karim

Hi Brandon and thanks,

Please find in attachments my "show issu comp-matrix negotiated" output..

We can see some client IDs COMPATIBLE, some other UNAVAILABLE...

I was also wondering what was the main purpose of the 'show issu comp-matrix ...' commands at this level as The IOS SXI3 versions are the same on both sups. I mean as for now the two IOS versios are the same does it worth checking any compatibility ?

Is the 'show issu comp-matrix ...' output check become intersting after the 'issu loadversion' has been performed with 2 differents IOS between active and standby SUP's ?

Thanks a lot !

Karim

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card