Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Eigrp and static route

Hello,

what would be the reason you would use static routes advertise with eigrp networks on a router?

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Let me suggest an example where there are 3 routers. RouterA connects to RouterB which connects to RouterC. RouterB andRouterC run EIGRP between them. There is not a dynamic routing protocol running between RouterA and RouterB (perhaps RouterA belongs to one company and RouterB and RouterC belong to a different company so you do not want a routing protocol running between the companies). Let us assume that network 2.2.2.0 is connected on RouterA and that RouterB and RouterC need to access network 2.2.2.0. How would you do that? The easy solution is to configure a static route on RouterB so that RouterB now has access. Then you redistribute the static route into EIGRP so that it is advertised to RouterC and now both RouterB and RouterC have access to network 2.2.2.0.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Do you redistribute the static route into eigrp for traffic entering router b from router c or traffic going from router b to router c or is for traffic going in both direction on router b?

I do not understand your question very well. In my example RouterB knows about 2.2.2.0 because of the static route. We redistribute the static route so that RouterC can learn about 2.2.2.0. So perhaps the answer to your question is traffic entering router b from router c.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card