cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP bandwidth question....

jimmysands73_2
Level 5
Level 5

This is a question that never got answered on the cisco learning network fourm that I am curious about....I never could find the answer.

If you change the default EIGRP bandwidth from 50% to something else with the ip bandwidth-percent EIGRP AS %% command, where can you look to see this change reflected?

Thank you,

Jimmy

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jimmy

Do you mean other than doing a "sh run" because if you modify the eigrp bandwidth on an interface it will be reflected in the running config.

Jon

View solution in original post

Tharak Abraham
Level 3
Level 3

Jimmy,

You can indirectly check this by having a close analysis on how EIGRP paces its packet.

The "sh ip eigrp interface" should give you a column indicating the pacing time in millisecs.

Each time a data packet is queued,  EIGRP determines how long to wait before sending the packet based on the formula

(8 * 100 * packet size in bytes) / (bandwidth in kbps * bandwidth           percentage)

This does have an effect on the protocols behaviour on the links !

Hope that helped !

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jimmy

Do you mean other than doing a "sh run" because if you modify the eigrp bandwidth on an interface it will be reflected in the running config.

Jon

Tharak Abraham
Level 3
Level 3

Jimmy,

You can indirectly check this by having a close analysis on how EIGRP paces its packet.

The "sh ip eigrp interface" should give you a column indicating the pacing time in millisecs.

Each time a data packet is queued,  EIGRP determines how long to wait before sending the packet based on the formula

(8 * 100 * packet size in bytes) / (bandwidth in kbps * bandwidth           percentage)

This does have an effect on the protocols behaviour on the links !

Hope that helped !

hstoddart
Level 1
Level 1

Thank to all that replied.  I was really just interested in this question because it never got answered on the Cisco Learning Network fourm.

I think the correct answer is the only place we will see this change is the startup/running config.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card