Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP Convergence Lab not working

steeilers
Level 1
Level 1

attached is a .pkt changed to a .jpg.

The PCs on both 192.168.1.x  and 192.168.2.x networks can ping each other fine. When I remove the link missing in the attached .pkt (packet tracer) the network isn't converging.

Troubleshooting done so far

- traceroute from router 3 fails after entering router1, packet not making it to router5

- traceroute from router 5 fails and doesn't make it to router1

I know the problem is in router5 but when i --show ip eigrp topology i see router5 knows about the route through router 1, but show ip route shows it isn't putting the route in the routing table, i verified router5 is in the same asn, it has neighbor relationship with router1, but for some reason it isn't converging when i remove the link between router4 and router3

can someone please download the .jpg attached, convert to .pkt, analyze what is wrong with router5?

Thank you! if you don't want to download and convert, i can send show commands let me know, thanks,

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

steeilers
Level 1
Level 1

file eigrp uploaded with topology for those that can't download the .pkt converted to .jgp to review

View solution in original post

Hello,

I can ping between both PCs with the link missing. It took a while to converge, which is typical for EIGRP. To speed up convergence, change the EIGRP hold and hello timers on the interfaces that form the neighbors:

ip hello-interval eigrp 1 1

ip hold-time eigrp 1 3

Hold time should be 3 times the hello interval...

that's strange, i was troubleshooting it for over 15min and it wouldn't ping across with the link removed.

11 Replies 11

steeilers
Level 1
Level 1

file eigrp uploaded with topology for those that can't download the .pkt converted to .jgp to review

Hi

Unfortunately the picture cannot be displayed. Please upload it again. Also can you upload the packet tracer file (zipped)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Hey Julio, thanks for the reply, I just downlaoded it from the website, changed extension from .jpg to .pkt after downloading it and it loaded for me.

Hello,

I can ping between both PCs with the link missing. It took a while to converge, which is typical for EIGRP. To speed up convergence, change the EIGRP hold and hello timers on the interfaces that form the neighbors:

ip hello-interval eigrp 1 1

ip hold-time eigrp 1 3

Hold time should be 3 times the hello interval...

that's strange, i was troubleshooting it for over 15min and it wouldn't ping across with the link removed.

weird, reloading the .pkt save it is working now for me too

I tried to use GNS3 but was having install issues and didn't want to trouble with it so I went back to packet tracer until I can work through why GNS3 was crashing on launch.

it could be a bug on the packet tracer. 

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

ya, thank you for trying to help, :)

You are welcome,

Have a great day

:-)

Hello,

Packet Tracer is not the most reliable tool for testing real life scenarios. 180 seconds would be normal, 15 minutes is way too long...

As with regard to GNS3, did you use the all-in-one installer ?

https://www.gns3.com/support/docs/quick-start-guide-for-windows-us

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card