Views
Helpful
Replies

eigrp vs static route

dan.letkeman
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

I have what should be a simple question.  I just can't seem to figure out the correct way to resolve it.

Here is my setup:

network A

|

eigrp 13 ---- router1 -----

|                               |

|                          transparent filter

|                              |

--------------switch1 -----

|

network B, C, D, and E

Network A - 202.202.202.0/24

Network B - 10.4.0.0/24

Network C - 10.4.1.0/24

Network D - 10.4.2.0/24

Network E - 10.5.0.0/24

There are many more networks in the same range but for this post, I will limit it to these.

I have an eigrp relationship with the router through one interface and I use a policy route on the switch to direct traffic through the other interface to the router.  The reason for this, is there is a transparent filter between this link.  The router advertizes the default route via eigrp and the switch advertizes all of its routes to all of its subnets as well.

If I policy route some traffic, say 10.4.0.0/24, 10.4.1.0/24, and 10.4.2.0/24, to go through the transparent filter I have to put a static route on the router to these networks in order for the return traffic to go out the correct interface on the router.  Here is where I run into a problem.

I want to be able to just put in one static route on the route to 10.4.0.0/16 and have it exit the interface facing the transparent filter.  But if I do that the route that the switch is advertizing for 10.4.0.0/24 takes presidence over 10.4.0.0/16 and the static route is not applied.

So how would you acomplish this, when you have 100+ routes to different 10.4.0.0/16 networks, without having to add 100+ static routes?

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks,

Dan.

2 Replies 2

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Do you want the EIGRP link to be a backup for your statically routed path? If so, I would imagine you could just make the EIGRP advertise a summary address for 10.4.0.0/16 thus making it equal prefix length with your static route but only used if the static route was withdrawn for whatever reason due to the higher administrative distance of EIGRP vs. static.

You could track the reachability via the static route with an ip sla operation which would cause it to be withdrawn in the event of reachability via the static route path going away.

I will give that a try.

Thanks,

Dan.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card