Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

enabele password problem

I got new Cisco 3560 switch with latest IOS. I have configured it with default settings i.e. vty access, enable secret password and vlan 1 ip address, and vtp setting. It is able to get all VLAN details from VTP server. And everything is working fine.

This switch is connect in the below fashion,

Cisco 3560 --> Cisco 6500 ---> VTP Server(Cisco 6500).

The problem I am facing is able to telnet the switch(Intervlan routeing is enabled and their no is restriction).

Another problem is, when I am trying to telnet the Cisco 3560 from Cisco 6500 switch. I am able to telnet but it is not accepting the password which I have given while configuring.

Can anybody please help me.

Regards,

Suresh Jain

10 REPLIES

Re: enabele password problem

HI

R u using the password which u gave under vty lines or enable password.

Thanks

Mahmood

I have tried with BOTH, but nothing is working.

Hi

is ur switch configured for AAA.

Thanks

Mahmood

have you enabled RADIUS authentication? bcoz even yile enabling that, u might face this probz, by asking user name & password, juz bcoz the username & password will be looking only the RADIUS server & not the local user database. other silly thing check the case sensitive. u also mentioned that yile telneting from the 6500 series, but have u tried from any pc & yile telneting, it is exactly prompting the 3560 switch?

It is a plan switch configured with enable and vty passwords, Joined to VTP server via another VTP client.

what do you mean by that plan switch?

Try "password" for the password, you may have typed "enable secret password ******"

Rookie mistake! (done it b 4 :-)

Still I am not able to login.

1.) If you didn't disable http access you can try accessing it through your web browser. If you can connect this way try it with no username & password if your "known" passwords fail.

2.) Physical password recovery procedure.

3.) If you're a bit SNMP saavy AND you did NOT enable the "service password-encryption" command in global configuration, your VTY and ENABLE PASSWORD password will be stored in plain text in the startup-configuration file, however; Remember, the ENABLE SECRET password over-rides the ENABLE PASSWORD password. Here's a reference on how to copy your configuration via SNMP.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094aa6.shtml

Are you prompted for a username? The switch must have configured for a login to the VTY port.

Views
Helpful
Replies