Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Enable Route-Cache to reduce CPU load

Dear all,

I heard, that I can enable "route-chache" or similar, to reduce the CPU load. Is this right? How should I configure it on a 3750G.

Thanks.

Sebastian

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mchin345
Level 6
Level 6

CEF is faster, less CPU-intensive and provides superior performance compared to other switching technologies, especially in networks with dynamic traffic patterns. It supports per-source-destination and per-packet load balancing. This is a major advantage over route-cache switching mechanisms like fast switching, where route caching needs to be disabled for per-packet load balancing to work. CEF support in Cisco IOS is version and platform dependent.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

mchin345
Level 6
Level 6

CEF is faster, less CPU-intensive and provides superior performance compared to other switching technologies, especially in networks with dynamic traffic patterns. It supports per-source-destination and per-packet load balancing. This is a major advantage over route-cache switching mechanisms like fast switching, where route caching needs to be disabled for per-packet load balancing to work. CEF support in Cisco IOS is version and platform dependent.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card