cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Enabling NSF with virtual-links

mrwood2006
Level 1
Level 1

I'm enabling VSS on a pair of 6500's.  The documentation I have recommends enabling NSF in the OSPF process which shouldn't be too hard, except further reading about NSF mentions it doesn't work with virtual links. I have virtual links.  What I'm trying to figure out is if I can safely enable NSF in OSPF so I get the benefits with my other areas without it breaking my virtual links.

4 Replies 4

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Restrictions for OSPF NSF

OSPF NSF for virtual links is not supported.

All OSPF networking devices on the same network segment must be NSF-aware (that is, running an NSF software image).

OSPF NSF for sham links is not supported.

hth

inayath

*********Plz dont forget to rate usefull posts.

Hi Inayath,

Thank you for the reply. 

I'm trying to determine whether it will break my virtual-linked areas outright if I enable it or if I just lose the benefit of NSF for the areas I have that are using a virtual link. 

I'd like to enable it if possible without causing an outage.

Hi

I want to enable NSF in EIGRP in 6513 (VSS) for SSO redundancy

I want to know should i also enable NSF in all EIGRP neighbors as well.

Core switch has eigrp neighbors which are User distribution switches (3560E-12SD-E).

So just want to know that enabling NSF in core switch (6513) will not cause any service interruption for the networks which is advertise in EIGRP . I also have redistribute static routes in core switch EIGRP.

Appreciate your repsonse

mrwood2006
Level 1
Level 1

For anyone in the same position,  I implemented this last night.  After turning NSF on in my OSPF process, I waited for alarms to start rolling in from my networks reachable via virtual link.  None came. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco