Views
Helpful
Replies

Encryption between 3560 and 3750 series switches

rory.schmitz
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I came across this post regarding encryption and had some questions:  https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3686207#3686207

We may be required, by federal regulations, to encrypt traffic between a few of our buildings.  I do not believe we have the X-series switches, but have the following models which the encryption would need to take place:

Model:  WS-C3560-48PS

IOS:  12.2(55)SE1 (IPBASEK9)

Model:  WS-C3750-48P

IOS:  12.2(55)SE1 (IPBASEK9)

Currently, we have MM fiber connection the two switches listed above.  Are these devices capable of any encryption between them?  What about add-on SFP modules, etc?

Rory Schmitz

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Don't believe 3560/3750 support any device-to-device encryption (beyond SSH to the device itself).

View solution in original post

If you are talking about MAC-SEC then only the "X", like 3560X and the 3750X, will support MAC-SEC encryption and you need an optional service module, the C3KX-SM-10G.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Don't believe 3560/3750 support any device-to-device encryption (beyond SSH to the device itself).

Thank you for the reply.  I'll leave it open for the rest of the day in case anyone else has any information.  In the meantime, does there happen to be a list of switch products that do support encryption that might fit our scenario?

Rory Schmitz

*EDIT*  The encryption type we would be required to have would be NIST.  I'm new to NIST so I'm not sure if there would be more information required for me to give to anyone.

Message was edited by: Rory Schmitz

If you are talking about MAC-SEC then only the "X", like 3560X and the 3750X, will support MAC-SEC encryption and you need an optional service module, the C3KX-SM-10G.

Thank you both.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card