Views
Helpful
Replies

Encryption over fiber P2P

Jason Fraioli
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

I am looking for some hardware recommendations for the following implementation.

Three locations, roughly 1 mile distance between each site, will be connected via single mode fiber. All traffic between each of the three sites will need to be encrypted.

I am curious if there is a gig module for the Pix 515, or would I need to step up to an ASA?

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jason

Both the Pix 525 and 535 support fibre connectivity multimode SC and you can buy cards for them.

However unless you already have one of these and even then it might be a better idea to look at the ASA's as these devices are replacing the pix models.

You could also consider a router if you need other functionality that the ASA will not support. The ISR routers support AIM's which will do encryption in hardware.

Jon

The PIX also have crypto boards available but I don't think they're going to be fast enough.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_data_sheet09186a0080210cd9.html

If you're looking at getting full gig out of that link (I inferred) then you're going to need something faster than a PIX and faster than a 7200. Look at the ASR or an ASA 5580.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card