cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Entering a ? (Question mark) into IOS command?

jilahbg
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

I need to enter an IOS command where a question mark is included into the string. Do do I do this? When I press "?", the CLI shows med the command syntax for the command. I am pretty sure there is some kind of escape key to press to tell CLI to interpret the ? as a normal character in my command. But I cannot find which key it is...

Thanks for your Help

Regards

Jimmy

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

globalnettech
Level 5
Level 5

Hello Jimmy,

this is an annoying problem indeed. To get the question mark enterd, type Ctrl + V, and the enter the ? character. That should do it...

Regards,

GNT

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

sourabhagarwal
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Jimmy,

can you let me know which comand you are trying to execute and what information you are looking to get from that show command?

Sourabh

Hello

That is not relevant. There is a command which includes a string with a ? within that I need to enter.

However, I?ve got the solution: CTRL-V.

Regards

Jimmy

globalnettech
Level 5
Level 5

Hello Jimmy,

this is an annoying problem indeed. To get the question mark enterd, type Ctrl + V, and the enter the ? character. That should do it...

Regards,

GNT

Thanks a lot!

Regards Jimmy

I am trying to set a password for a switch that would use ? as one of the characters for a lab exercise, and i pres ctrl + v before entering ?, as one would normally do to paste something, but ? still doesn't behave like a normal character. Is there any other way?

Thank you in advance

Hello,

Ctrl + V followed by the '?' character should work. It might be IOS specific, what platform are you trying this on ?

Could be. I'm not sure what platform it is, how can I determine that?

Post the output of 'show ver'...

most helpful indeed!

trashmi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Team!
i am facing same problem question mark it is showing options it should consider as symbol in string. please help me with this!

Thanks,
Rashmi T S

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card