Views
Helpful
Replies

Entry Level Networking Question

TNicholson03
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

This seems very basic to me, but has me thinking in too many different directions.  We are opening a separate office less than 100 ft from our current office.  I want these two offices to be on the same network (have access to our exchange server and domain controller on the 192.168.2.x network) without the use of a VPN.  Is this possible?  I don't want to run network cables underground and will be setting up new internet servcie at the new office.

7 Replies 7

One internet connection per Office + One router per Office :

1) GRE over the internet +  Bridge on the LAN and GRE tunnel.

2)  L2TP over internet

Or wireless between the offices.

Regards

Dan

Ok.  Very novice here.  I am a certified CCNA, but 3yrs ago.  Have any guides on this you know of you could point me too?

I currently do have what you mentioned and I envisioned the same setup at the second office.

Office 1

One internet connection + Netgear 8port Firewall + Cisco SG300-20 Switch

Office 2

One internet connection + Netgear 8port Firewall + Cisco SG300-20 Switch

Should I skip the firewall on the second office?

siddhartham
Level 4
Level 4

You can create a seperate Layer 3 distribution switch block for the new office and connect that to campus core switches by using fiber (since its around 100ft) , this will help you to add more people at the new laction in future.This will need 6 to 8 fiber runs between your old and new offices.

Siddhartha

fb_webuser
Level 6
Level 6

If it's not practical to run an underground or overhead fibre or copper line, then I would recommend a wireless link as well. Reliable, high speed full duplex links can be established for quite reasonable costs. Make sure you have enough free addresses if you intend to use the existing subnet you indicated

---

Posted by WebUser Mike Hendriks from Cisco Support Community App

Or MPLS link with your ISP.

10MB one will cost you like 300-500$ a month.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

I actually think I will run the cable underground from our first office to our second.  Looks like the max without a repeater is 295ft.  Is that right?

If its cat5e you can go upto 332 ft (100 Meters) , if its fiber you can go KM s based on mode.

Siddhartha
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card