Views
Helpful
Replies

EPLD Upgrade question

micsteiver
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i need to do EPLD upgrade. on a couple of Nexus 7000 with only 1 10Gb card per Switch and 2 peer-link on this card. Can you tell me what's hapening when the 10GB card on the vpc secondary role Switch will be EPLD upgraded.

6 Replies 6

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If we lost the peer-link, vPC secondary will shut down all the vPC interfaces.

Did you following the recommendation from the following link for single 10GE linecard?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/4_2/nx-os/interfaces/configuration/guide/if_vPC.html#wp1558824

HTH,

jerry

Hi micsteiver,

I got your message but not able to find it here in the forum.

thanks for the link. vpc tracking is not configured. i don't use Layer3 features with the Nexus. Can i use vpc tracking only with vpc peer link and the management address (vlan interface).

I don't think using tracking on management interface will work (I have not done it this way before). One way I know it will work is you can isolate one switch at a time (meaning shut all its port to isolate it) and upgrade EPLD via console. The other way to do is you can change the vpc priority and force a switch to become vPC secondary.

Regards,

jerry

Hi Jerry,

i think that the best solution is to do vpc tracking on :

- the port-channel peer-link

- physical members of this peer-lind

- another physical link member of a vpc link on the 10G Card (like dual-attached Switch).

With a boolean OR ( If all tracks failed -> change of the vPC role)

I hope that's it could be works ...

Thanks for your help

I don't think this will work since your switch is up and vPC peer-keepalive is active.

Let's assume you are able to change the vPC role on one switch, but how is the remote switch able to detect it?

The only solution is really to create a dual-active scenario (shut down vpc peer-link and vpc keepalive link at the same time) and also shut down vpc southbound connection to avoid blackholing traffic.

Regards,

jerry

Hello All,

You will only have a problem when upgradind the vPC primary!!!

I don't think this will work since your switch is up and vPC peer-keepalive is active.

vPC object tracking operation will stop Nexus sending peer-keepalive message! So, it can works like that!

On the other hand, you can proceed like that : (for all your VDC)

- shut all "devices" interfaces

- shut peer-keepalive link

- shut peer-link

- do EPLD upgrade

After that you have your EPLD upgraded and you have you two nexus active.

(for all your VDC)

- no shut peer-link

- no shut peer-keepalive link

- no shut all "devices" interfaces

Enjoy and give us a feedback!

:-)

Patrice

Hello Mic

EPLD upgrade procedure upgrades drivers on linecards and this process is disruptive for transit traffic.

VPC has built-in mechanism which avoids double-head scenario which blocks vpc links on secondary device.

The only proper recomendation in the case with one 10Gig linecard - is removing all important traffic from switch on which you will perform EPLD upgrade. For example changing the primary/slave roles on the devices.

HTH

Alex

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card