cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Errdisable Recovery-Best Practices?

Miss_Understood
Level 1
Level 1

I am re-configuring several switches on a small network.(catalyst 3750,3560) A previous employee configured the 3750 stack with all of the errdisable recovery options enabled, even for some items that we are not running like vmps. I am trying to decide what to do with these settings. I understand WHAT errdisable recovery does and WHY, but I don't understand WHEN to to allow automatic recovery and when not to. I have looked everywhere for Cisco's "Best Practices" on this subject but can't manage to track anything down. Any help would be appreciated!

3 Replies 3

Jason Fraioli
Level 3
Level 3

I enable auto recovery on my LAN, but I also send a trap when a port goes errdisable. That way I get a log/email.

I was looking at the same thing for basic switch best practices using err disable recovery. Here is what I found.

Try to minimize or refrain from using "errdisable recovery" option.  This is even more important when used on a chassis-based system like the 6500/6800 and/or 4500 systems. If the ports went into error-disable this means something is wrong and is worth investigating.  To use "errdisable recovery" is akin to sweeping a potential problem under the carpet and is not a good practice.  This option only works well in a lab environment

Hello
I personally wouldn’t errdisable recovery on BPDU-Guard or UDLD as I would want to investigate further as to why those ports errored in the first place.

BPDU-guard may mean you have end users unwittingly attaching unauthored switches to the network and you need to track them down

UDLD because if you do have a faulty port/module you wouldn’t want it to constantly flap maybe causing unwarranted stp recalculations and network re-convergence

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card