cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Error message" !!! Warning: the switch is not usable !!! "

michael.ray-4
Level 1
Level 1

Hello. I have a 2970G-24-TS-E switch running IOS version LanbaseK9-MZ 12.2-25 SED1. Due to a planned power outage I powered off the switch for the weekend. I powered up the switch on the next business day and received an error "!!! Warning: The switch is not usable!!!". I recycled the power several times and received the same error. I even left it unplugged for a few hours. My first though was to copy over an fresh IOS image but I am unable to do so. I am unable to configure an ip on the switch for vlan1. During boot I see a post message "PortASIC CAM subsystem test - Failed". My guess is the IOS can't initialize the switchports. I think this is a software issue. Does anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this issue?

2 Replies 2

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You have a POST failure on the switch. Its a Hardware failure. Please go ahead and open a TAC case to get the replacement.

-amit singh

I was hoping this was not the case. But I am sure you are correct. Must be a hardware failure. I'll open a TAC case. Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card