Views
Helpful
Replies

Error reading when upgrading the IOS in Cat-3750

Luis Ruiz Lopez
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I'm having some problems when upgrading the IOS of my Catalyst 3750 switch through a tftp server. I've been surfing the net and found that there seems to be a problem when the image file is larger than 16M but this is not my case.

I erased the flash to be sure that there was enough memory space to upload the image but didnt work.

I also tried with archive download-sw /overwrite command and using a ftp server but the problem is the always the same:

Accessing tftp://170.1.1.1./c3750-ipbasek9-mz.122-53.SE2.bin...
Loading c3750-ipbasek9-mz.122-53.SE2.bin from 170.86.188.180 (via Vlan200): !!!... [timed out]

%Error reading tftp://170.1.1.1/c3750-ipbasek9-mz.122-53.SE2.bin (Timed out)

****(tftp is reachable)****

To make sure it was not a problem of my computer or tftp server, I tried with a different computer and with a different tftp server but the same happen. I also tried with a 3750V2 and still the same. Even when trying to backup the current IOS to my computer, I got "error writing".

Then, I have tried to do the same with a different model of switch, a WS-C3560-48PS and it works perfect.

I still need to try using Xmodem but I wanted to first check with you to see if someone has any idea of how to solve this problem as Xmodem takes ages to finilize the process.

Thanks a lot for your support!

Luis

8 Replies 8

nkarpysh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Luis,

I see you did erase some files from your flash. Did you run "squize" command after it. Some platforms delete only record for file with "delet" command but space is still occupied. Can you check it with "dir flash:"?

Want to check this first withoutjumping to conclusions of flash needing formatting, etc.

Nik

HTH,
Niko

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Also, does your tftp server indicate that the initial tftp transfer begins and then ends prematurely?

When you say tftp is reachable, do you mean pingable or have you confirmed reachability via UDP port 69?

Is it possible to try the operation using ftp? See this procedure.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your replies.

When I do "dir flash" I see no files in it and I can see connection established with the tftp server on UDP in the log of the server and also the file being transferred but then as you said, it ends prematurely saying connection time out.

I also tried with a ftp server and it does exactly the same, the image starts to be transferred and suddenly, it times out.

The option I have left is to try with Xmodem but I would like to try that as a last option as I have 1 3750 and a 3750V2 with the same issue.

BTW, I have used the same tftp server the same day with a different device and I worked ok.

Thanks!

Luis,

Can you try copying any file from let's say NVRAm to flash: to make sure we have no probems on flash.

Nik

HTH,
Niko

Nik,

I tried copying a file (startup-config) from Nvram to Flash and it worked fine so I guess it is not a problem with the flash.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Hi Luis,

Please attach "show flash:".

You may also try two following workarpunds:

1. Enter "exec-timeout 0 0" in line console or in line vty depending on if you are consoling in or telnetting in

2. Try using another tftp server, it also failed as not all TFP servers support 16MB files.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/770/fn13026.shtml

Nik

HTH,
Niko

Hi Nikolay,

Someone has disconnected the switch so I cannot do the test right now but once I have access again, I will get back to you with results.

Thanks in the meantime for your time.

Luis

I had the same problem and called TAC.  Basically check the size of the of the flash.  The image that's probably on it has the Web Dev image that's takes up a lot of space.  You have to delete the file then reload the new one 

Delete flash:c3750-ipbasek9-mz.122-53.SE2/c3750-ipbasek9-mz.122-53.SE2.bin

copy tftp: flash:

Once that works then you need to set the boot command

boot system switch all flash:/c3750-
advipservicesk9-mz.122-25.SEE1/c3750-advipservicesk9-mz.122-25.SEE1.bin

Save - Then reload.

Hope this helps.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_example09186a00804799d7.shtml

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card