cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Error when trying to TFTP IOS directory

jmaurer1205
Level 1
Level 1

I have a (2) 2960 48port switches that I'm trying to backup there IOS to my tftp server but I'm getting this error,

%Error reading flash:/c2960-lanbase-mz.122-25.SEE2 (Is a directory). I understand the directory part but how can I backup the whole directory without grabbing each individual file?

I just picked up another 2960 that has the c2960-lanbase-mz.122-35.SE5 IOS and wanted to update the 122-25.SEE2 up to this version, is there something different I will have to do to upload the new IOS with the directory?

6 Replies 6

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sorry, you can't grab the whole directory, you need to specify the IOS file within that directory (it ends with .bin) and that's all you need.

__

Edison.

Try the archive tar command and then copy the .tar file to tftp server. Or just go to Cisco and download the same exact IOS release in .tar form and save it to your server (the easiest).

I don't have access to download the IOS from cisco :( . Is there another wildcard option to grab everything in the directory like /* (didnt work.)

Im trying the archive tar now.

Darn, thought life could be easy.

Ok I captured the Directory, I used tar on the dir and sent it to the tftp with one easy command.

Copy directory on Cisco by using tar.

archive tar /create tftp://10.24.56.5/saved.tar flash:c2960-lanbase-mz.122-35.SE5

10.24.56.5 = Local IP of the TFTP server

c2960-lanbase-mz.122-35.SE5 = Directory with HTML Directory, IOS.bin and info.

I'm glad you where able to conquer this issue...

Regards

Bill

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card