cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Error writing ftp://ip address undefined error

ssweehinlew
Level 1
Level 1

when i use the tftp server to download the configuration file from the switch and router, i encountered the error with something like Error writing ftp://ip address (undefined error). Any idea? how to solve this problem

9 Replies 9

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
when i use the tftp server to download the configuration file from the 
switch and router, i encountered the error with something like Error 
writing ftp://ip
 address (undefined error). Any idea? how to solve this problem 

Hi,

Check the connectivity between PC and router and no firewall is enabled in PC or any antivirus which would be blocking the tftp tarnmission between the two.Try with tftdnld software and see if you are able to tftp the file or not and also check the file exists and has write permission.The nature of the path vary by TFTP server, but it is generally relative to the set TFTP root directory. Make sure the TFTP server has write permissions (SolarWinds has a checkbox for that) and that the file has world-write permissions (Unix).

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Couple of more things to check :

1. If there is a firewall between the router and TFTP server, Please allow the TFTP/FTP to go through.

2. Cisco IOS firewall featureset if enabled on the router, could be blocking it.Please allow the TFTP/FTP to go through.

3. If you are using any username/password for the file transfer, Please make sure that you are using the corrent ones.

Cheers,

-amit singh

2. Cisco IOS firewall featureset if enabled on the router, could be blocking it.Please allow the TFTP/FTP to go through.

For item 2, may i know the command that should be issued on the router or switch?

I tried on another workstation. It came out with message Error writing ftp://ip address .(timed out). May i know the reason?

Hello,

Are you trying to use FTP to transfer the data or are you using TFTP? If you are trying to use FTP and are trying to configure the router as FTP server that is not supported any longer. If you are trying to configure the router/switch as TFTP server and then copy a file to the router/switch, even that is not allowed. You can configure the router/switch as a TFTP server and then copy files from them.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

NT

I have resolved my problem. Thanks.

Hello,

You do need to use "copy running-config tftp:" instead of "copy

running-config ftp:"

Hope this helps.

Regards,

NT

Note: Remember to rate the useful posts.

Hi,

Although it solved my problem, I still encounter the Re: Error writing ftp://ip address (timed out) problem on other cisco network switch or router. Do I need to issue command and enable somethings on that switch or router?

Hello,

If you are using TFTP, then you need to issue "copy running-config tftp"

command. If you are using FTP itself, then check the connectivity between

the router/switch and the FTP server. Make sure that the server is accepting

connections by trying to FTP from a workstation (from the command prompt try

ftp ). On the router/switch, please configure the

FTP username/password so that you do not have to type it every time.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

NT

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card