cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ether-channel question

stuartmair
Level 1
Level 1

Could on a 2960 switch we create an ether-channel as ether-channel 1 and connect them back to a6513 switch using incrementing numbers?

In other words could we would have 25 ether-channel 1s on 25 different 2960 switches and have them come back to ether-channels 1-25 on the 6513 switch?

E.G.

Switch 2960 number 1 ether-channel 1 connects to Switch 6513 ether-channel 1

Switch 2960 number 2 ether-channel 1 connects to Switch 6513 ether-channel 2

Switch 2960 number 3 ether-channel 1 connects to Switch 6513 ether-channel 3

….

Switch 2960 number 25 ether-channel 1 connects to Switch 6513 ether-channel 25

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks in advance.

9 Replies 9

francisco_1
Level 7
Level 7

your channel group number does not affect the other side of the channel. so on your 2960 your channel group can be 1 and on your 6513 switch, your channel group number can be 10.

make sure you configure all LAN ports in an EtherChannel to use the same EtherChannel protocol and all LAN ports in an EtherChannel to operate at the same speed and in the same duplex mode.

michaelchoo
Level 1
Level 1

Bear in mind too that there is a limit to the number of EtherChannel groups you can configure. On 6513 switch, it's 63. The "smaller" chassis can support up to 126 groups. I think this is due to the architectural limitation on the 6513 chassis.

Stuart,

did we answered your question.

if yes can you please rate the discussion.

Thanks.

Francisco

Yes you did answer the question-I was pretty sure of this but wanted confirmation.

Thanks

IF I can hijack this . . .

Ran into an issue with ether-channels/port-channels on a 4506 and a 3560. 3560 died - PS failed. Replaced 3560 with an identically configed 3560 to the same physical ports on the 4506. Now I have no connectivity. I do see an error that indicates "err-disables".

What is the correct sequence to get the ether-channel back up between the 4506 and 3560? Remove references to the ether-channel on the affected interfaces, as well as the reference to the port-channel group, shut the ports down, bring them back up and connect, hoping that the ether-channels/port-channels will recreate themselves?

I have run into the err-disables issue before. Doing a shut/no shut on the interface/port-channel always seemed to fix it for me.

Tried a shut/no shut on the interfaces and that did not resolve the issue.

when you do shut and no shut, are you getting any errors when the port-channel try to come up? "show logging".

also send us the show ether-channel summary and protocol output.

stuart,

thanks for the rating

Francisco

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: