Views
Helpful
Replies

Etherchannel advice on 3750

Dwillcocks_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am configuring a stack of 3750 switches and will be connecting to another stack using etherchannel.  I also need multiple port channel interfaces for an esx enviroment.  A former colleague of mine had mentioned once that the ports in a channel group should be separated by at least 8 ports if located on a single 24 port switch, or located on separate switches.  This was not a redundancy issue but something to do with getting maximum throughput.

Can anyone explain if this is correct and if so why, I can't seem to find anything elsewhere to back it up?

Cheers.....Dave

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Dave

Have't come across this limitation on a 3750 as they are wire rate switches. I am aware of this sort of limitation on 4500/6500 switches where there are port groupings per asic so you can get oversubscription on the asic.

Jon

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I am configuring a stack of 3750 switches and will be connecting to another stack using etherchannel.  I also need multiple port channel interfaces for an esx enviroment.  A former colleague of mine had mentioned once that the ports in a channel group should be separated by at least 8 ports if located on a single 24 port switch, or located on separate switches.  This was not a redundancy issue but something to do with getting maximum throughput.

Can anyone explain if this is correct and if so why, I can't seem to find anything elsewhere to back it up?

Cheers.....Dave

Hi Dave,

We have encountered the similar problem in our datacenter but that was with 4500 series, in order to have maximumm bandwidth we allocated across six 8-port groups, providing 1 Gbps per port group  and  the over-subscription ratio on this line card is 8:1 and 8 ports shared 1 Gigabit of bandwidth. This case is with 6500 series switch line cards also and as far my experience it is not with 3750 series.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card