Views
Helpful
Replies

Etherchannel and STP ?

dclee
Level 1
Level 1

Looking for a bit of tech advice..

Each of my floors connect back to the core via a single uplink (fiber). Floor switches are 3560's. Floors 5,6 and 7 and the most important b/c

of the call center / services we provide.

I would like to use redundant links for each of these floors back to the core using etherchannels on both sides of the trunk.

Etherchannel will be LACP - active active on both sides.

On the core side, I will spread the etherchannel (LACP) across line cards and on each 3560 there will be an EC between Gi0/49 and Gi 0/50.

I have tested this in the lab and it works fine..but

With STP turned on for the 3 vlans in the trunk, the re-converge time is to slow once one of the ports in the EC goes down and comes back up.

If I kill STP for the 3 vlans, then there is no relearn time when the physical port comes back up in the EC.

Given the fact that my EC config is correct, do I really need STP in this scenario ?

Advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Dave

2 Replies 2

JohnTylerPearce
Level 7
Level 7

Well I would always run spanning tree protocol, no matter what. It's just not a good idea to do otherwise. Even if you don't have any "physical loops" in your network, you should always run it.

You could always run L3

But if I remember correct, on an Etherchannel, spanning tree BPDUs will follow one port within an etherchannel, but I'm not 100% correct about how that part works.

Robert Falconer
Level 1
Level 1

I agree with John, you should always run spanning tree.

Are you running rapid pvst everywhere?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card