Views
Helpful
Replies

Etherchannel Load-Balance

cesarreynaldo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have one Catalyst 6509 connected to Catalyst 4500X-VSS using a Layer 2 Etherchannel.

So, 6509 are using src-dst-ip for Etherchannel Load Balance and 4500X are using src-dst-port.

Anyone knows if this will work fine or if I may have some problem?

Is recommended change that configuration or not?

Tks.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

It won't be a technical problem. Your traffic will just be distributed differently over the member-links in both directions. But both load-sharing algorithms can give you a good load distribution when there are many flows. Was there an initial reason to configure it that way?

View solution in original post

Mukesh Kumar
Level 3
Level 3

Hello cesarreynaldo

This will work fine.

This is depend upon the traffic flow from source to destination, on the behalf of traffic flow we have to select the Load Balancing type.

For example, If most of the time one source is sending data to the particular host then you can select src-dst-port load balancing.

Regards,
Mukesh Kumar
Network Engineer
Spooster IT Services

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

It won't be a technical problem. Your traffic will just be distributed differently over the member-links in both directions. But both load-sharing algorithms can give you a good load distribution when there are many flows. Was there an initial reason to configure it that way?

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I agree with Karsten, That there would be any problem.

As you know Etherchannel is kind of load sharing among the links...It has its own way of load sharing/balancing the traffic if you leave it to default. (which means you might end up using the same link most often times if you dont change the default load balancing method). Hence we see people change the default method to the one which they want and get the nearest load sharing/balancing over the links utilization.

HTH

REgards

Inayath

Mukesh Kumar
Level 3
Level 3

Hello cesarreynaldo

This will work fine.

This is depend upon the traffic flow from source to destination, on the behalf of traffic flow we have to select the Load Balancing type.

For example, If most of the time one source is sending data to the particular host then you can select src-dst-port load balancing.

Regards,
Mukesh Kumar
Network Engineer
Spooster IT Services

cesarreynaldo
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Guys, Tks for all answer and support. Now is it clear to me

@Karsten Iwen

There is no specific reason, the implementation was made for two different analysts. And now I'm assuming this project and need to understand it. Probably as soon as possible I will change it, and configure the same method in both switches.

Thank you again.

Cesar Reynaldo

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card