cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Etherchannel load-balancing

cisconoobie
Level 2
Level 2

Does each side (switch) have to have the same load-balancing method?

Can I have switch A using src-mac and switch B using dst-mac?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes you can use different load-balance methods on different switches which connected to each others via multiple trunk ports join EtherChannel in order to distribute the traffic over all avilable links to enhance the performance.

Pls rate helpful posts

Best Regards,

Mounir Mohamed

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

shrikar.dange
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

Yes you can have this kind of load balancing.

Load balancing on etherchannel operates at switch level rather than per channel,applying globally for all channels on the switch.Also the actual load balancing varies depending upon the family of switches.

The command to configure load balancing is :

port-channel load-balance{method u want to load balance}.

HTH,

regards,

shri :)

mounir.mohamed
Level 7
Level 7

Yes, lets say the clients connected to switch-A, while there is common Server or signle router connected to Switch-B so now in order to load-balance between mtliple source MAC address to signle destination MAC address over all the avilable links in the etherchannel you will use src-mac on Switch-A and dest-mac on Switch-B, but first check your load-balance options supported on your catalyst as not all Catalyst support the same features (For Example 3550 only support Src-mac, dst-mac) While 3560 support src-mac, dst-mac, sr-dst-ip..etc

pls rate helpful posts.

Best Regards,

Mounir Mohamed

Mounir,

If I have switchA connected via a L2 trunk to switchB.

Can I use src-mac on switchA and dst-mac on switchB for them to communicate with eachother?

Yes you can use different load-balance methods on different switches which connected to each others via multiple trunk ports join EtherChannel in order to distribute the traffic over all avilable links to enhance the performance.

Pls rate helpful posts

Best Regards,

Mounir Mohamed

Just to make sure I got this right:  It's okay to have most 4507s load- balance on src-dst-ip, but have several in the same domain be dst-port?

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card