Views
Helpful
Replies

Etherchannel Loadbalancing

arulgobi1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I need to setup the ether channel & load balancing between 7200(NPE400,FA I/O controller) - 2950 switch. The setup works well for ether channel setup, my problem is load balancing between Router -> switch. In the 7200 router the "port-channel load-balance" is not available. any suggestion is it possible to do for egress traffic from Router?

5 Replies 5

francisco_1
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, anyway without trunking Etherchannel works well. But the load balancing only gave the problem. I need to load balance from router to switch. The other way works well, when loadbalacning by src-mac.

src-mac is the default load balancing method. so your layer 2 etherchannel will use by default.

1)you mean in both Router & Switch?

2)But actually I need the dst-mac/ip based load balancing from router side.

R Fa0/0 -> SW FA 0/10

R Fa2/0 -> SW FA 0/11

but those commands

(port-channel load-balance

{src-mac | dst-mac | src-dst-mac | src-ip | dst-ip |src-dst-ip}) are not available in the Router(7200 NPE400) . Is this a IOS feature ?

Thanks for the quick response.

regards,

My understanding is if you have a layer 2 port-channel connection in your case between the router and switch then the loadbalancing method should be use is either src-mac | dst-mac | src-dst-mac since you are dealing with mac addresses at layer 2. if the connection is between two routers for example is layer 3 port-channel then you will have to use src-ip | dst-ip |src-dst-ip. I dont think you can use both dst-mac/ip based load balancing on your router ast the same time.

I dont know much about the Router(7200 NPE400) but i believer the reason the port-channel loadbalacing command is not availabe might be because the forwarding method for layer and layer 3 for port-channels is done dynamically.

Maybe someone can shed more light on this discussion.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card