cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EtherChannel Question L2/L3

JohnTylerPearce
Level 7
Level 7

If I have a L2 etherchannel between two switches will they only forward frames? And if I have a L3 etherchannel between switches

do they only forward packets?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Well frame is a layer 2 and packet is layer 3

But if you have a layer 3 interface that dose not mean the layer 2 won't be passed but the difference is the level or layer the interface is operating in

If it's layer 3 then it will participate in layer 3 operations such as routing while in layer 2 it will be operating in layer 2 like access port or trunk port but packets/frames still pass through but layer 2 interface dose not deal with packets like ip but deal with MACs for example

In other words it is more about what layer the interface is operating in

HTH

If helpful rate

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Well frame is a layer 2 and packet is layer 3

But if you have a layer 3 interface that dose not mean the layer 2 won't be passed but the difference is the level or layer the interface is operating in

If it's layer 3 then it will participate in layer 3 operations such as routing while in layer 2 it will be operating in layer 2 like access port or trunk port but packets/frames still pass through but layer 2 interface dose not deal with packets like ip but deal with MACs for example

In other words it is more about what layer the interface is operating in

HTH

If helpful rate

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

So lets say I had two 3750 switches. I connect 2 cables between them and setup a L3 etherchannel. I'm assuming I would get 200mbps bandwidth (if they are 100mbps) total, and the routing protocol would see the portchannel as one link instead of two?

And if I have a L2 etherchannel between the switches, it basically just does nothing but pass L2 and does not participate in the routing process?

I do know, regardless of the method, the frame will encapsulate the L3 traffic inside it.

Yes you right

If you setup a L2 ether channel with two switch and they have layer 3 vlan interface you will see the interface participating in the routing the layer 3 vlan interface this control plane

From forwarding plane pointbof view the ether channel and it's associated interfacesvwill be used forbthe actuall traffic forwarding

HTH

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarifying that for me.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card