Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EtherChannel quick question

Hi All,

I have two Switches 4506s that I want to expand the existing EtherChannel.

Both switches are currently connected via two Giga interfaces via fiber (media type 1000BaseSX).

The Port Channel is up and working at 2Gbps

My question arises, because I want to add six more ports to the bundle, but the six ports are Giga but copper (media type 10/100/1000-TX)

I want to know if the EtherChannel is going to work fine with 2 Fiber ports and 6 Copper ports (all at the same speed & duplex, configured as trunks with all the same configuration), the only difference is the physical media type. Is that going to cause a problem?

I need an answer, because I'm in a production environment and I don't want to test it if it's not going to work like that. Is the physical media to match a requirement?  I don't think so, but I need to be sure.

Thank you!

Federico.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

burleyman
Level 8
Level 8

They only need to be the same speed so you should be good to go. Attched is a document that explains.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

burleyman
Level 8
Level 8

They only need to be the same speed so you should be good to go. Attched is a document that explains.

vvasisth
Level 1
Level 1

it will definatly work you just need the speed to be same for the ports.

Hope that helps.

regards,

Varun

It worked great!

Thank you both.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card