cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Etherchannel - Redundant 6500 to 3750 datacenter switch

joe.daguiar
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 6504's running HSRP as my core.  They are each etherchannel'd to my Datacenter switch (3750 Stack) -- see image below.

Etherchannel.PNG

The problem i a having is with the etherchannel status:

Core1 PO11 status w (waiting)

Core2 PO11 status P(bundled)

DC11 PO48 status P -- but only to Core2 - the interfaces to Core1 are suspended. (See attached configuration documents)  None of the devices have any information in the logs.  I run this same configuration in my central location, but we are running Nexus 7000's.  With the 6500's, do I need to split the port channels on the 3750 to allow them to negotiate the etherchannel? If I split the portchannels, are there any concerns? Should I expect to see the etherchannel status as P (Bundled) or H (Hot-Standby)?

2 Replies 2

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

No you do not need to split the port channels for them to work although a better design would be to run one to each switch so that if something happened to the switch or uplink you would still have a path back to the core.  You would probably have to post the relevant configs for all the interfaces involved so that we could see . Both the port channel SVI and the ports themselves.  Just sounds like a misconfig .  Are these port channels a single vlan or are they trunked?  Are they forced on or using lacp ?  Now that I look at it you need to create a different port channel number on the 3750 for one of your links they cannot both be port channel 48 . Create say port channel 49 and put 2 links in that.  You cannot have the same port channel going to 2 different switches.

Glen is correct.... Your design is as if you had a vPC or VSS in your core - which I don't believe you have.

You would need two completely seperate port-channel's on the 3750 in order to make this work - one to each of your core switches. Your current configuration has one logical link from the 3750 connecting to 2 completely seperate devices.. This is a no-no unless VSS or vPC is implemented.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: