Replies

Etherchannel

londint
Level 1
Level 1

I have the following connections on a Sup720 on 2 Cat6509 Switches

Port 5/1 --------- Port 5/1

Port 6/1 --------- Port 6/1

These are in an Ether channel and are all 1GB.

What is the size, Is this a 2GB or a 4GB between the 2 switches. Also where can I find this information.

In addtion if I were to connect

Port 5/2 ---- Port 5/2

Port 6/2 ---- Port 6/2

Will this give me 4GB or 8GB?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Ankur,

As the poster said that in first scenario he is going to use two ports so i think it will give him 2gbps but if we consider full-duplex it will be 4 gbps i think.

and in the second i think the poster wants to add the mentioned ports in addition to the above ports i.e 4 ports to it will be be 4gbps and if we consider full-duplex it will be 8gbps hope i am thinking correct.

Thanks

Mahmood

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

In u r first it scenario it will be 4 gbps in full duplex.

and in second it will be 8 gbps.

Thanks

Mahmood

Hi Mahmood,

Can you please update what difference you see in the 2 setup other than the port numbers?

Are you taking into account all 4 ports in single etherchannel? If yes I believe it will be 4 GBPS only but in marketting terms you can say 8 GBPS full duplex

Ankur

Hi Ankur,

As the poster said that in first scenario he is going to use two ports so i think it will give him 2gbps but if we consider full-duplex it will be 4 gbps i think.

and in the second i think the poster wants to add the mentioned ports in addition to the above ports i.e 4 ports to it will be be 4gbps and if we consider full-duplex it will be 8gbps hope i am thinking correct.

Thanks

Mahmood

Thank you all so very much.

Hi Friend,

When you bundle 2 links of 1 GBPS, you will get a link of 2 GBPS in one direction and 4GbPS link in full duplex.

check out this link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk213/technologies_white_paper09186a0080092944.shtml

HTH, rate if it does

Narayan

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Friend,

Ankur,

When we say 100Mbps, it means 100mbps in each direction so the total traffic that can pass is 200Mbps (100 in each direction)

Based on this, when u have an etherchannel of 2 100mbps links then the aggregrate bandwidth woule be 200Mbps in each direction (total - 400 Mbps)

Narayan

it all depends on whether you are a saleman or technician.

1st scenario: salesman 4GB, technician 2GB

2nd scenario: sales 8GB, techy 4 GB

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card