Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

etherchannel

hi! i'm trying to configure teaming for my hp server. the servers have 2 1gbps nic cards. i tried to configured the port channel on the sw connected to this server....i noticed that the max bandwidth i can load into the link is about 60% of the 2gbps link. Is there any thing i can do to maximize the 2gbps bandwidth to at least 80%?

another question is that, if i'm connecting 2 switches together with trunk port channel of 2 physical links, how do i do load balancing in this case. i think my current setup only utilized 1 link and the other link is in standby for failover. How do i utilize both link together to reach at least 20% of 2gbps rather than just 1gbps? pls advise. thx

Thanks.

1 REPLY
Hall of Fame Super Blue

Re: etherchannel

dkblee@hotmail.com

hi! i'm trying to configure teaming for my hp server. the servers have 2 1gbps nic cards. i tried to configured the port channel on the sw connected to this server....i noticed that the max bandwidth i can load into the link is about 60% of the 2gbps link. Is there any thing i can do to maximize the 2gbps bandwidth to at least 80%?

another question is that, if i'm connecting 2 switches together with trunk port channel of 2 physical links, how do i do load balancing in this case. i think my current setup only utilized 1 link and the other link is in standby for failover. How do i utilize both link together to reach at least 20% of 2gbps rather than just 1gbps? pls advise. thx

Thanks.

This question of load-balancing across etherchannel links comes up quite a bit. It's important to understand that different switches support different types of load-balancing ie. src/dst mac-address, src/dst IP address, src/dst port numbers. Not all switches support all methods so you need to choose a method that

1) is supported on your switch

2) will spread the load across all the links eg. if you have one server talking to it's default-gateway for 90% of the time the src/dst mac-address load-balancing wouldn't really help because 90% of the traffic would be sent down the same physical link. In this case src/dst IP address would be better if the switch supported it.

Have a read of this doc which gives a lot of detail on how etherchannel load-balances across it's links and which switches support which types -

Etherchannel load balancing

Jon

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content