Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Etherchannels from 3560 switch to 3 flexstacked 2960-S switches

Hi All,

When running etherchannels (x6 in this instance) from a 3560 to a stack of flexstacked switches (in this case 3 2960-S) I have all the etherchannels going to the 1st switch in the stack, for example 1/0/1 - 1/0/6 interfaces.

Should I actually have two cables from the etherchannel group go to the 1st switch in the stack then  two more cables from the etherchannel group go to the 2nd switch in the stack and so on. I was thinking I don't need to as the stack is setup with full redundancy flexstack cables at 20gb I believe it is so spreading out the six etherchannel connections would be pointless?

Any feedback much appreciated.

Regards

Dan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super Bronze

DisclaimerThe Author of this

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

And if the top 2960S fails, how does the 3560 and the 2960S stack continue to communicate, or doesn't that matter?

4 REPLIES
Super Bronze

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

And if the top 2960S fails, how does the 3560 and the 2960S stack continue to communicate, or doesn't that matter?

LOL, wow how did I miss that

LOL, wow how did I miss that one. Yes it does indeed matter. I'm kicking myself over that ;-)

Thanks for the reply, greatly appreciated.

Super Bronze

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

I was wondering.  wink

Now, a question you might ponder, is whether with your etherchannel of 6 and a stack of 3, whether you'll want 2 links to each 2960S or 3 links to two of them?  I don't really know, although Cisco does recommend for 3750s to not have uplinks on the master, if possible.

Hmm, interesting point on the

Hmm, interesting point on the master switch. I am actually raising it to 12 interfaces now so will probably run 6 to two switches in that case. I think a night of reading up on that is in order methinks. The chances of two switches going down is slim. Not impossible but would be very unlucky. Without reading up it does kind of make sense not to have etherchannels running to the master. More processing required perhaps compared to the 'slaves' to start with I should imagine.

Views
Helpful
Replies