Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ethernetchannel config and ports config

Hello,

When I create a interface port channel the configs for that port channel will those configs overide the ports configs that are in that port channel or will just add to those ports configs?

8 Replies 8

Latchum Naidu
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hey,

No, port-channel config and their members config will keep indipendently.

Port-channel config will never overide to its member.

Please rate the helpfull posts.

Regards,

Naidu.

Ankur Arora
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Horacio,

The portchannel config adds to the config of the physical interfaces. After you configure a port channel, the configuration that you apply to the port channel interface affects all the port channel member ports. The configuration that you apply to the member ports affects only the member port where you apply the configuration. So if you apply any config to member ports make sure its exactly the same on all the member ports.

Thanks

Ankur

"Please rate the post if found useful"

Hello

"Port-channel config will never overide to its member."

Humm - not sure i agree maybe I am mis-undertstanding the question or Latchum's reply

Lets say we create a L2 etherchannel

============================

1) default physical interfaces (if applicable)

2) configure port-channel in physical interfaces (port-channel will be created automatically

3)create trunking encapsulation or access port mode directly in port-channel interface ( this will propergate to the physical interfaces

4)enable physical interfaces "no shut" ( if applicable)

So when the the port-channel is automatically created via the physical interfaces, the configuration you apply on the port-channel will propergate to those physical interfaces within the port-channel

res

Paul

Please don't forget to rate any posts that have been helpful.

Thanks.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Pdriver,

Thats because the physical interfaces have default config. In the above example as well the config of the port channel is added to the physical interface config as the interfaces were default so we had vlan 1 native and when we created the port channel with whatever access or trunk, it was added to the config.

Thanks

Ankur

"Please rate the post if found useful"

What is the best practice, to create the port channel first and then put ports in that port channel or under the ports put port channel channel command which automatically creates a port channel.  Also what commands would be different between port channel and ports within that port channel. For example if I create switch mode trunk on port channel and allow vlan 6 if I put that same command under ports is it useless. Also if I put a command under port will propagate to port channel. In other words do I have put the Same command under port channel and ports does propagate commands both ways. What command under ports would I put that wouldn't be use under port channel?

IMHO

First do all the config under ports. Then create coresponding L2/L3 portchannel...no commands propagate automatically between these two - ports and portchannel. Maybe it's going to be overconfigured but you can put same commands under ports and portchannel - with only exception "channel group x..." only under ports...but specific commands will be enough only under portchannel. Test and try yourself different scenarios...

BR,

Dragan

HTH,
Dragan

Hello

The best practice is to ready the ports you want to become members of the port-channel all the same

access-port - switchport - routed ports /speed/duplex etc.

Apply the port-channel command to the physical interfaces and let the port-channel interface create automatically then configure the portchannel.

If you change any port that is already a member of the portchannel it will NOT propagate to either the port-channel or any other members in the group and could result in loss of connectivity..

res

Paul

Please don't forget to rate any posts that have been helpful.

Thanks.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Pdriver,

So say I configure port that is in port channel with two commands switch mode trunk and speed 100 and duplex full with those 3 command add to the port channel automatically and can it be done vice versa?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco