Views
Helpful
Replies

EX SFP

justanas1
Level 1
Level 1

hello,

Does the Cisco 3750G support the 1000BASE-EX (GLC-EX-SMD)SFP.

Thanks and regards,

Anas

5 Replies 5

justanas1
Level 1
Level 1

I just want to update description about the network I have:

I have two sites connected using MPLS line terminated as a fiber and provided by the Telco.

(Site-A)3750G-LX-SFP----LX(provider)--(Provider)LX----LX-SFP-3750G(site-B),

In site B I noticed there are packet losses, after further investigation the provider advised that the distance between site B and the local exchange of the provider is around 12KM, the provider advised to change the SFP to be EX instead LX.

I want to know if the EX SFP is supported by the C3750G, please note that the provider is using Alcatel switches.

Thanks and regards,

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not listed as supported for the 3750 or 3750-E series. (Is listed for 3750 Metro Series.) See http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/OL_6981.html#wp129434 (Also didn't see it listed in the release notes for the latest 3750 IOS.)

justanas1
Level 1
Level 1

I just want to update description about the network I have:

I have two sites connected using MPLS line terminated as a fiber and provided by the Telco.

(Site-A)3750G-LX-SFP----LX(provider)--(Provider)LX----LX-SFP-3750G(site-B),

In site B I noticed there are packet losses, after further investigation the provider advised that the distance between site B and the local exchange of the provider is around 12KM, the provider advised to change the SFP to be EX instead LX.

I want to know if the EX SFP is supported by the C3750G, please note that the provider is using Alcatel switches.

Thanks and regards,

From my prior post, it appears GLC-EX-SMD isn't supported but perhaps a GLC-ZX-SM would solve the issue too.

[edit]

PS:

The minimum cable distance for the WS-G5484 or GLC-SX-MM and WS-G5486 or GLC-LH-SM (multimode fiber [MMF] and single-mode fiber [SMF]) is 6.5 feet (2 m), and the minimum link distance for the WS-G5487 or GLC-ZX-SM is 6.2 miles (10 km) with an 8-dB attenuator installed at each end of the link. Without attenuators, the minimum link distance for the WS-G5487 or GLC-ZX-SM is 24.9 miles (40 km).

BTW, I see you rated my post at about the same time I added the postscript. This note is to bring your attention to the postscript, and need for attenuator, for 12 km (in case you did miss the addendum).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: