Views
Helpful
Replies

Extended Vlan Question

osidegeek64
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Guys-

I have a Cisco 2811 router running IOS 12.4(17) that will only allow me to use vlans 1-1005. I need to be able to setup vlans in the extended range. I understand that I cant use vlan database mode to create extended vlans and I need to use the vlan vlan-id global config mode; however, the 2811 doesnt give me that option. What am I missing?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If its 12.4.17 mainline the "T" train features are not carried thru the mainline train until the next major  mainline release. so to use a mainline train with that function you would have to use the actual "T" train  image (12.4..15Tor higher T train) or go to the 15.X  mainline version.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

scottogden_2
Level 1
Level 1

Is your router in vtp transparent mode?

e.g.

enable
configure terminal
vtp mode transparent
vlan 4072
end
copy running-config startup config

Yes, its running in transparent mode.

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mike

You need to upgrade to 12.4(15)T to be able to use extended vlans on the 2800 -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/docs/ios/12_4t/12_4t15/ht_xvlan.html

Jon

The article says 12.4(15)T or later, its running 12.4(17) right now. I do however have other 2800 series routers with 12.4(15)T and those work, so maybe Ill give that a shot and see if its an IOS thing.

If its 12.4.17 mainline the "T" train features are not carried thru the mainline train until the next major  mainline release. so to use a mainline train with that function you would have to use the actual "T" train  image (12.4..15Tor higher T train) or go to the 15.X  mainline version.

That was it. Changing the IOS to the T train fix it. Thanks Glen.

thanks to Jon also for looking that up 

Youre right. Thanks Jon.

You guys were a big help. Thanks again.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card