Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Fabric Extender Host Port as ESX Trunk port

I'm also going to pose this question with VMware but am curious if  anyone has tried to configure a Fabric Extender host port as a Trunk in  order to connect an ESX 4.1 host to it.  I understand that you cannot  attach another switch that is reliant upon STP to a Fabric Extender host  port because that host port will go into error disable mode as soon as  it sees a BPDU.  I do not believe that a virtual switch relies on STP  and therefore could potentially fall into the below FEX configuration  caveat.

When I hook an ESX host up to my FEX host port configured as a trunk, the port does not go into err-disable mode but I cannot connect to any of the trunked VLANs either.  The FEX host port shows up/up.

Per the Fabric Extender config documentation:

Any edge switch that leverages a link redundancy mechanism not dependent on Spanning Tree such as
Cisco Flexlink or vPC (with BPDUFilter enabled) may be connected to a Fabric Extender host interface.
Since spanning tree is not utilized to eliminate loops, care must be taken to ensure a loop-free topology
below the Fabric Extender host interfaces.

Has anyone else tried this configuration?

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content