Views
Helpful
Replies

Fabricpath environment with N5k and N7K - isis troubleshooting

udo.konstantin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

In a given environement (2x 5k and 2xN7K) with fabricpath we had the following output:

Xxxxxxxxxxx-hostname# show fabricpath isis adjacency
Fabricpath IS-IS domain: default Fabricpath IS-IS adjacency database:
System ID SNPA Level State Hold Time Interface
002a.xxxx.7a81 N/A 1 UP 00:00:30 port-channel2
d867.xxxx.3242 N/A 1 UP 00:00:31 port-channel3
d867.xxxx.32c2 N/A 1 UP 00:00:26 port-channel4

Xxxxxxxx-hostname# show fabricpath isis hostname
Fabricpath IS-IS domain: default dynamic hostname table
Level System ID Dynamic hostname
1 002a.xxxx.4fbc* xxxx-swidce03p
1 002a.xxxx.7a81 xxxx-swidce04p
1 d867.xxxx.3242 xxxx-swidce02p-vdcDC
1 d867.xxxx.32c2 xxxx-swidce01p-vdcDC

I expect normally a mapping takes place (hostname and System-ID)!? This should be through "dynamic hostname" command?!

Also we found an interesting thing on the two switches on the same interface.
On one switch we can configure the speed command and on the other one we can't?! Is there any restriction why it shouldn't possible to configure the speed command?!

Thanks
Udo

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

4 Replies 4

Steve Fuller
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

udo.konstantin wrote:

I expect normally a mapping takes place (hostname and System-ID)!? This should be through "dynamic hostname" command?!

That's correct. If you configure the no hostname dynamic within the fabricpath domain default context, then you'll see the switch-ID in hexadecimal format in the output of a number of show commands. I'm not sure why I'd ever do this as it obviously makes troubleshooting more difficult.

In terms of configuring the speed command, can you provide any more details e.g., 5K or 7K, the NX-OS version etc.?

Regards

Hi,

I thought the command hostname dynamic is on by default?

In our case show fabricpath isis adjacency shows the MAC Adress of VLAN1 from the parent switch.

Regarding the "speed" command this is on a 5548UP with version 6.0(2)

####peer links#########

interface Ethernet1/9

switchport mode fabricpath

channel-group 2 mode active

interface Ethernet1/10

interface Ethernet1/11

speed auto

interface Ethernet1/12

speed auto

####################

thanks

Udo

Hi Udo,

You're correct that hostname dynamic is on by default so it's interesting you're seeing the hexadecimal switch ID. Is this on the Nexus 5K, Nexus 7K or both and which NX-OS versions are you running on those platforms? The output of a show run fabricpath all would be useful if you could post it here.

As far as the speed auto command, this is not something I've can see in any of the switches I've looked at here, and can't reproduce in my lab either. Can you paste the output of a show int eth1/9-12 capabilities and show int eth1/9-12 transceiver?

Regards

Hi Steve,

The problem with the hostname is on a 7K with NX OS 6.2

Regarding the spees command i can't currently show the output of the required commands because I don't have access to the switches currently.
Maybe in two weeks again. If the problem is still active I will send the informations.

Thanks again Steve...

Udo

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card