Views
Helpful
Replies

Facing intermittent ping drops for management IP of 6500 switch

sivakumar.kvp
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

It looks strange for me.The problem here is facing intermittent ping drops for management IP of Cisco switch 6500 running IOS. (separate vlan for management).Then it works automatically and do not get any error logs.But while not pinging,couldnt do telnet to the switch.

Appreciate your guidance

shiv

6 Replies 6

Hi,

Can you paste the output of the below command.

C6500#sh process cpu history

C6500#sh logging

There might be your switch CPU/Memory utilization will be high or need to check is there any STP topology changes happened in your network.

Regards

Karuppu

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello,

It looks strange for me.The problem here is facing intermittent ping drops for management IP of Cisco switch 6500 running IOS. (separate vlan for management).Then it works automatically and do not get any error logs.But while not pinging,couldnt do telnet to the switch.

Appreciate your guidance

shiv

Hi Shiv,

It depends how is the connectivity for management vlan with your switches is there any firewall or any other devices and as sggested by karrpu it can be issue with CPU of the switch also.

And r u getting this same behavior with all the switches in management lan or with only one switch.

Ganesh.H

Hi,

i dont have any firewalls between them,no high cpu and no error logs,just a switching platform but still Iam facing the intermittent ping drops in two switches now.Actually to say iam monitoring for last two weeks.it looks very strange.

shiv

Hi,

i dont have any firewalls between them,no high cpu and no error logs,just a switching platform but still Iam facing the intermittent ping drops in two switches now.Actually to say iam monitoring for last two weeks.it looks very strange.

shiv

Hi Shiv,

If you dont have any CPU issue or firewall between can you check the port which is connected with your host is not having any error while pinging to vlan management ip.Duplex setting and speed in switch port.

HTH

Ganesh.H

Okies.Thank you so much Ganesh and karuppu for your valuable time.

Was this issue ever fixed?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card