Views
Helpful
Replies

Failed Supervisor Engine 720 10GE replacement after powering down the Chassis

prateek_jain12
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Need your help in undergoing an Activity.

I need to do replacement for failed Supervisor Engine 720 10GE (standby) on Cisco 6509 in production.

We have not to do a Hot Swap, but it has to be done after powering down the Chassis.

I think after powering down the Chassis if the Old Working Sup Module comes as active then we can copy the config. from Active (Old Sup) to Standby (new one) after copying of the IOS file from Active to Standby and rebooting the Standby.

But, if in case new Sup Module comes as Active and the old Sup Module go standby and IOS being different in both Sup Modules, I need to know how to restore the Services?

Please help to reply ASAP.

Thanks in advance to all.

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In a 6509 when you have 2 sups configured in SSO mode, the primary sup is in slot 5 and the stand-by is in slot 6.  If you are replacing the stand-by (slot 6) after rebooting the switch slot 5 will again be the primary and the config will sync from primary to stand-by.

Make sure you have the same exact IOS in both sups.

HTH

Thank you so much Reza for the reply.

This is to update you Sup Module in Slot 5 has failed and Slot 6 is the Active Sup now.

New Sup has been RMA'ed but may not have the same IOS as the other Working Sup Module in SLot 6.

Also, are you confirmed that always Slot 5 Sup becomes the Active one because as per me there is no restriction as such like this.

Thanks.

Hi,

If you have 2 sups in slot 5 and 6 with both sups having the same exact IOS with SSO configured and if you reboot the chassis with both sups in it, slot 5 will be the primary.

HTH

ok thanks.

New Sup has not the same IOS as the other Working Sup Module in SLot 6.

What can be the Steps to be followed for the Sup Module replacement, if we need to power down the Chassis during Module Replacement?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco