cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Failed Supervisor on 6509 Chassis

sweetfait
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone have a go-to guide for swapping out a failed supervisor card on a 6509 chassis? The guides on the Cisco site seem old with CatOS references.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

It depends on where it is calling it to boot from .  It it is currently booting from sup-bootflash then it wouldn't matter ,if it boots from disk0:  then it needs to be in there . I would just move it from the old to the replacement.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Are your sups configured in SSO mode?. Did the primary failed or the backup?

Hi Reza,

Yep we are configured in SSO mode and the backup failed. I have a 6504 chassis I can use to configure the replacement, just not sure of the steps needed. Can I stick the Flash from the faulty Sup into the replacement?

Thanks

I believe all that needs to be done is to make sure you have the exact same IOS version on the replacement and the current running sup will copy all needed information once its inserted. 

Thanks Glen,

My main question is around the existing compact flash in the failed hardware, should I put that into the replacement module, will the supervisor boot from that or the on board flash card on the motherboard by default?

It depends on where it is calling it to boot from .  It it is currently booting from sup-bootflash then it wouldn't matter ,if it boots from disk0:  then it needs to be in there . I would just move it from the old to the replacement.

Thanks all. Supervisor now installed.All good except a hand full of fibre ports went err-disabled due to UDLD when the module slotted home, anyone seen this?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card