Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

What does Interface fastethernet 2/24 mean:

is it port 24 on module 2

is it port 24 on blade 2

is it port 24 on slot 2

is it port 24 on line card 2

I have never seen a switch physically. Some people say module, some say blade etc.....

What it is exactly and what is the difference between module,blade,slot and line card and it would be more helpful if some one explains it with pictures.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

nkarthikeyan
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Module/Blade  means the same here. it is up to person how he calls that.

2/24 is the 24th interface of the 2nd module/blade, which should be a replaceable one.

I have attached an image which explains you an example.

Regards

Karthik

View solution in original post

Normally this kind of line number acronyms will be used in cisco stack featured switches.

1/0/10 -- If it is a standalone switch then 1/0-term refers to the single module/slot and 10 refers to refers to the 10th interface of the switch.

1/0/10 -- if it a stacked switch then 1/0 refers to the first switch and 10 refers to the interface of the switch...

Regards

Karthik

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

nkarthikeyan
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Module/Blade  means the same here. it is up to person how he calls that.

2/24 is the 24th interface of the 2nd module/blade, which should be a replaceable one.

I have attached an image which explains you an example.

Regards

Karthik

Thank you very much nkarthikeyan.  The picture is informative and made my doubt clear. 

But what about slots and line card.

When we talk about FastEthernet1/0/10 it mean this is port number 10. But what about the other two number, which one is module among them.

Normally this kind of line number acronyms will be used in cisco stack featured switches.

1/0/10 -- If it is a standalone switch then 1/0-term refers to the single module/slot and 10 refers to refers to the 10th interface of the switch.

1/0/10 -- if it a stacked switch then 1/0 refers to the first switch and 10 refers to the interface of the switch...

Regards

Karthik

Thanks again for nice explanation.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card