Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Feature set in 4506 IOS

How can I determine what feature set is running on a Cat4506 with a really old IOS version? In newer versions it's easy to find by looking at the filename, but I'm on cat4000-is-mz.121-12c.EW1.bin. As far as I can tell, there is no difference between the filenames for "BASIC L3" and "ENHANCED L3" images on this version.

I'm asking because we're about to upgrade, and I want to get the right version.

Output from "sh ver":

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
IOS (tm) Catalyst 4000 L3 Switch Software (cat4000-IS-M), Version 12.1(12c)EW1, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
TAC Support: http://www.cisco.com/tac
Copyright (c) 1986-2002 by cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Thu 24-Oct-02 23:05 by eaarmas
Image text-base: 0x00000000, data-base: 0x00CA7368

ROM: 12.1(12r)EW
Dagobah Revision 63, Swamp Revision 24

<name removed> uptime is 3 years, 9 weeks, 4 days, 3 hours, 30 minutes
System returned to ROM by power-on
System restarted at 12:59:33 MET Wed Jan 10 2007
System image file is "bootflash:cat4000-is-mz.121-12c.EW1.bin"

cisco WS-C4506 (XPC8245) processor (revision 5) with 524288K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID FOX07021E49
Last reset from PowerUp
44 Gigabit Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
403K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

Configuration register is 0x2102

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If you can configure BGP then it looks like you have the Enhanced L3 image.

Jon

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

francisco_1
Level 7
Level 7

use the cisco feature navigator tool and search by image to find all feature supported for your IOS.

http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/

Thanks for your answer!

I'm not looking for specific features. If I understand correctly, a BASIC L3 image entitles me to upgrade to a more current IP BASE image, whereas from an ENHANCED L3 image I can upgrade to an IP ENTERPRISE image. I would therefore like to know which one I'm using today.

I don't need the enterprise features, at least not for the time being,  but it would be nice to know if I can use the enterprise image if we  need it later on.

Regards

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What supervisor are you running ?

Quick test, try and configure BGP and if you get something like "not supported in this image" you probably have the Base feature set.

Jon

The supervisor is WS-X4515 (Supervisor Engine IV), and I'm allowed to configure BGP.

How about that system uptime! I always enjoy seeing those.

If you can configure BGP then it looks like you have the Enhanced L3 image.

Jon

OK. Thank you! :-)

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I'm going to give you a different answer . Just by looking at the image name I would say it is ipbase .  In early versions  cisco  did not get rid of commands and functions even if they were not supported .  I know  up through like 12.2 EW  even ipbase you could configure BGP  and it would even work even though it was not supported in ipbase because I set it up in a lab once and we  even found after the fact that we had a 4948 that was running base and  had been running bgp for a couple of years on the network   .  So this being said  you could very well  have ipbase. Below is as close as I could come to what you are using . What supervisor are you running ?

BASIC L3                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      cat4000-i9s-mz.121-20.EW2.bin

The supervisor is a WS-X4515 (Supervisor Engine IV).

When I go to software download, and look at deferred images for this supervisor, this is the closest to what we have I can find:

ENHANCED L3

cat4000-is-mz.121-12c.EW2.bin

Release Date: 17/Jul/2003

Size: 7959.45 KB  (8150468 bytes)

Minimum Memory: DRAM:256 MB  Flash:64 MB

BASIC L3

cat4000-is-mz.121-12c.EW2.bin

Release Date: 17/Jul/2003

Size: 7959.45 KB  (8150468 bytes)

Minimum Memory: DRAM:256 MB  Flash:64 MB

They seem exactly the same to me...

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card