Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Feature set in 4506 IOS

How can I determine what feature set is running on a Cat4506 with a really old IOS version? In newer versions it's easy to find by looking at the filename, but I'm on cat4000-is-mz.121-12c.EW1.bin. As far as I can tell, there is no difference between the filenames for "BASIC L3" and "ENHANCED L3" images on this version.

I'm asking because we're about to upgrade, and I want to get the right version.

Output from "sh ver":

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
IOS (tm) Catalyst 4000 L3 Switch Software (cat4000-IS-M), Version 12.1(12c)EW1, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
TAC Support: http://www.cisco.com/tac
Copyright (c) 1986-2002 by cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Thu 24-Oct-02 23:05 by eaarmas
Image text-base: 0x00000000, data-base: 0x00CA7368

ROM: 12.1(12r)EW
Dagobah Revision 63, Swamp Revision 24

<name removed> uptime is 3 years, 9 weeks, 4 days, 3 hours, 30 minutes
System returned to ROM by power-on
System restarted at 12:59:33 MET Wed Jan 10 2007
System image file is "bootflash:cat4000-is-mz.121-12c.EW1.bin"

cisco WS-C4506 (XPC8245) processor (revision 5) with 524288K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID FOX07021E49
Last reset from PowerUp
44 Gigabit Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
403K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

Configuration register is 0x2102

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If you can configure BGP then it looks like you have the Enhanced L3 image.

Jon

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

francisco_1
Level 7
Level 7

use the cisco feature navigator tool and search by image to find all feature supported for your IOS.

http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/

Thanks for your answer!

I'm not looking for specific features. If I understand correctly, a BASIC L3 image entitles me to upgrade to a more current IP BASE image, whereas from an ENHANCED L3 image I can upgrade to an IP ENTERPRISE image. I would therefore like to know which one I'm using today.

I don't need the enterprise features, at least not for the time being,  but it would be nice to know if I can use the enterprise image if we  need it later on.

Regards

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What supervisor are you running ?

Quick test, try and configure BGP and if you get something like "not supported in this image" you probably have the Base feature set.

Jon

The supervisor is WS-X4515 (Supervisor Engine IV), and I'm allowed to configure BGP.

How about that system uptime! I always enjoy seeing those.

If you can configure BGP then it looks like you have the Enhanced L3 image.

Jon

OK. Thank you! :-)

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I'm going to give you a different answer . Just by looking at the image name I would say it is ipbase .  In early versions  cisco  did not get rid of commands and functions even if they were not supported .  I know  up through like 12.2 EW  even ipbase you could configure BGP  and it would even work even though it was not supported in ipbase because I set it up in a lab once and we  even found after the fact that we had a 4948 that was running base and  had been running bgp for a couple of years on the network   .  So this being said  you could very well  have ipbase. Below is as close as I could come to what you are using . What supervisor are you running ?

BASIC L3                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      cat4000-i9s-mz.121-20.EW2.bin

The supervisor is a WS-X4515 (Supervisor Engine IV).

When I go to software download, and look at deferred images for this supervisor, this is the closest to what we have I can find:

ENHANCED L3

cat4000-is-mz.121-12c.EW2.bin

Release Date: 17/Jul/2003

Size: 7959.45 KB  (8150468 bytes)

Minimum Memory: DRAM:256 MB  Flash:64 MB

BASIC L3

cat4000-is-mz.121-12c.EW2.bin

Release Date: 17/Jul/2003

Size: 7959.45 KB  (8150468 bytes)

Minimum Memory: DRAM:256 MB  Flash:64 MB

They seem exactly the same to me...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: