Views
Helpful
Replies

Few questions about 3750X stack switch

linhdhd
Level 1
Level 1

Dear,

I have just joined this helpful community. Since I am still a newbie, it is my hope to comprehend through our discussions. I would like to ask few questions about 3750X stack switch:

1. What kind of switches are considered as provisioned switch?
  2. What is the purpose of using provision switch?
  3. Which advantages does a provision switch provide? If we don't use provision feature, what would be happened?

Thank you very much. Look forward to reading your replies.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

1, This is correct. The switch that you want configured as Master, is where you put the "stacking" commands.

So for instance if you have two other switches you can do the following.

'switch 2 provision --> You can also do 'switch 2 provision ?' as well to help you out

'switch 3 provision --> Same as above

Then if you want to configure port 5 on swtich 2 to vlan 5 for instance you can do the following'.

'int 2/0/5' and enter in your Interface Configuration commands so when you get ready to plug everything into the various switch ports everything is configured already.

I recommend doing the following as well for stacking. Lets say you have a 3 switch stack.

Master - 'switch 1 priority 15'

Slave2 - 'switch 2 priority 14'

Slave 3 - 'switch 3 priority 13'

etc

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

"Am I able to type "interface gig 3/0/x" in global configuration mode before connecting the 3rd switch into the existing stack?"

This can be done AS LONG AS you've pre-provisioned the switch.  I must've done this sooooo many times:  Configure the ports of a switch that's not yet attached to the stack.

It saves a lot of time.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Ivan Shirshin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Provisioning is an offline configuration feature which allows to supply a configuration to a new switch before it joins the switch stack.

I recommend to read the folllowing document explaining the provisioning:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12-2_25_see/configuration/guide/scg/swstack.html#wp1178943

Note that the switch stack retains the provisioned configuration in the running configuration whether or not the provisioned switch is part of the stack.

Kind Regards,
Ivan Shirshin

**Please grade this post if you find it useful.

Kind Regards,
Ivan

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Ivan's reference provides the details, but in real world where provisioned switches are nice include: if a switch member fails, that's switch member's configuration is still present and can be used on a like model replacement.

Also:  for new stack members, being able to provision the new switch stack, before you add it to the stack, save a little time when you add the stack member to the stack.  I.e. you can provision the stack member ahead of time, and then when you add the stack member, as soon as it joins the stack, it has the desired configuration.

I am sorry for late because I was busy with another major incident and need more time to comprehend the document you mentioned. I think the discussion would be a helpful sharing for everyone who wants to have deeper understanding.

I am planning to deploy stack switch and hope to be clear risks I may have. It is my hope to not receive a disclaimer.

Thanks.

Hi Ivan,

Thank for your document. I read it before but not very clear. I think I understand better at this stage. May I have few more questions?

1. Are the configuration for offline stack (provision) and switch member's priority only configured in master switch?
  2. Assuming that I have two 48-ports switches in current stack (sw: port Gi1/0/1 to Gi1/0/48; sw2: port Gi2/0/1 to Gi2/0/48). To accomplish offline configuration, I want to configure at interface level for the 3rd member switch's ports that I am going to put into current stack later on. Am I able to type "interface gig 3/0/x" in global configuration mode before connecting the 3rd switch into the existing stack?

Thank you very much.

1, This is correct. The switch that you want configured as Master, is where you put the "stacking" commands.

So for instance if you have two other switches you can do the following.

'switch 2 provision --> You can also do 'switch 2 provision ?' as well to help you out

'switch 3 provision --> Same as above

Then if you want to configure port 5 on swtich 2 to vlan 5 for instance you can do the following'.

'int 2/0/5' and enter in your Interface Configuration commands so when you get ready to plug everything into the various switch ports everything is configured already.

I recommend doing the following as well for stacking. Lets say you have a 3 switch stack.

etc

Hope this helps

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

BTW, yesterday I was working on a 3750X, and provisioning for a 2nd stack member.  Switch rejected the switch priority command for a switch that wasn't physically active in the stack.  This on (55)SE7.

That sucks. I hope that was a bug.

Switch rejected the switch priority command for a switch that wasn't physically active in the stack.

Nope.  It's not a bug.

You will NEVER set the switch priority if the new switch member is not yet physically and logically part of the stack. 

I swear I've done that before. But if I remember correct, that was on an lder 3750 not a 3750x. All my 3750x installs, I've always connected the stack and then put priorties.

Hi all,

Thank for your helpful replies. How about this following question?

"Am I able to type "interface gig 3/0/x" in global configuration mode before connecting the 3rd switch into the existing stack?"

I have never tried this because it's still in my imcoming plan. Look forward to hearing from your experience.

Thanks.

This can be done AS LONG AS you've pre-provisioned the switch.  I must've done this sooooo many times:  Configure the ports of a switch that's not yet attached to the stack.

It saves a lot of time.

Thank you very much. I got the answers

Thank you for taking the time to rate our posts. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card