Helpful
Replies

Few questions about igrp

sarahr202
Level 5
Level 5

Hi every body!

I have few questions about igrp

I want to practice " variance" command but i need to know the possible routes to same destination.Routing table only shows the best route not all possible routes. For example rd can reach 199.199.199.0 via ra and rc but route through ra is better so it was installed in the routing table. in order to use the both routes i.e via ra and rc, i need to know what is the metric through rc to reach 199.199.199.0. Once i find that out, i can determine Variance multiplier .

Does any one know how to it?

thanks a lot!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Zeeshan

First I would suggest that your question asks about IGRP, but that protocol is no longer supported in current IOS (and how not been supported for a while). So you would do better to investigate variance with EIGRP instead of IGRP (it works the same in both protocols).

To see both paths (and the metric on the less favorable path) you should do show ip eigrp topology 199.199.199.0 (note that you might need to specify the mask of the prefix - especially you would need to specify the mask if it were not using the default class C mask of 255.255.255.0).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Zeeshan

First I would suggest that your question asks about IGRP, but that protocol is no longer supported in current IOS (and how not been supported for a while). So you would do better to investigate variance with EIGRP instead of IGRP (it works the same in both protocols).

To see both paths (and the metric on the less favorable path) you should do show ip eigrp topology 199.199.199.0 (note that you might need to specify the mask of the prefix - especially you would need to specify the mask if it were not using the default class C mask of 255.255.255.0).

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks a lot Rick!

I understand that one can view all possible routes in eigrp by " show ip eigrp topology" , which in turn helps one determine the variance so that multiple routes can be used for the same destination.

But you are right there is no point to practice variance command in igrp as it is no longer supported. I was just following the book .

thanks a lot!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card