cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Fiber Between 2 Cisco SG100-24 switches

My_Fast1286
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I'm quite new to the networking work. I'm an Audio Visual Tech so I don't touch much of this stuff.

I have a LAN Network I'm setting up at my house. I had a little bit of trouble, thought I might run this by you guys and see if I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks in advance for any feedback..

In a nut shell I have 2 Cisco SG100-24 switches I'd like to connect together via fiber.

I thought I'd cut some cost and purchased 2 TRENDnet mini-GBIC tranceivers (TEG-MGBSX) and a 30 meter length of multimode 50/125 fiber. LC to LC connectors. I thought I had done enough research to tell me that this would be what I need.

My goal is just one big happy network so everything sees each other and talks to each other. They are unmanaged switches, nothin fancey.

Thanks!!!!

~Chris

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Chris,

Looking at the data sheet for the switches you are using, they come with 2 Gig ports that are SFP based.  If that is the case then MM 50/125 LC to LC will work fine. The other thing that you have be careful with is that sometimes Cisco devices don't work with every 3rd party SFPs.  So, that is a risk you take if you don't order it using Cisco part numbers.

If you want to keep the cost to minumum, since the distance is less the 100 Meters, you can simply use copper instead of fiber if that is possible.

HTH

Thanks for the reply, thats what I was thinking... darn 3rd party SFPs...

Now, the reason I was thinking I want fiber between is them is that the Mini-GBIC ports are allotted more bandwith or speed as far as throughput goes?

I'm looking at this beacuase the 2nd switch will have a heavy load of IP Cameras, the new Xbox One which will be a heavy load itself and a few other Media devices so I don't want a single CAT6 to basically bottle neck the network. Maybe I'm just making that up?

Thanks again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: