Views
Helpful
Replies

Fiber cabling - 1Gbps vs. 10Gbps

aadeoye
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I am currently working on an installation in an environment with heterogeneous fiber patch panels (50 and 62.5-micron cabling) that I would like to use for switch interconnects. Currently, the 62.5-micron connections are all in use and the 50-micron connections are free.

The installation will utilize 1 Gbps transceivers (GLC-SX-MM). For staging purposes, to have the new infrastructure running side-by-side with the current one, I would like to use the 50-micron fiber connections (capable at running 10Gbps). However, it is very likely that I will have to switch to the 62.5-micron cabling once the migration is complete.

What kind of cables do I need to ensure that this works properly? The fiber panels have SC connectors.

Thanks and best regards,

Ade

2 Replies 2

Hi Ade,

I am not sure if I have correctly understood your query.

If you query is whether you need to have a MultiMode or SingleMode cable, then the answer is MutiMode. 1000-BaseSX supports MMF only.

If your question is whether you can use 50-micron cable now and 62.5-micron cable later, the answer is yes. 1000Base-SX supports both.

If your question is something else, do let me know.

-> Sushil

Hello Sushil,

You understood perfectly. I just wanted to make sure that my thoughts about the transceivers were accurate.

Essentially, all I will need is to change the cable if I decide to use the older fiber cable plant, right?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card