Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Fiber connections between 100 and 1000 base ports

I have an extra Catalyst 3548XL that I want to put into my LAN. The two fiber modules on the unit are 1000base-LX. The rest of my network is 2900 series Catalyst's with 100base fiber links. Is it possible to add this 3548XL into my network and have it sucessfully connect with the 100base fiber ports on the 2900 series Catalyst?

3 REPLIES
Green

Re: Fiber connections between 100 and 1000 base ports

No. The signaling is different between 100M and 1000M optical.

Also, the LX is a high-powered interface. trying to use it with a short (< .5km) jumper without an attenuator would probably burn out the receiver of the other system.

You could get a copper<->optical converter to plug the 100BASE optical into the 1000BASe copper (or -probably- vice versa)

In other words, convert one of the optical systems into a copper connection, then use one of the standard copper ports for that side of the connection.

Good Luck

Scott

Thanks Scott. My company is movong toward Procurve switches. Do you think that my Cisco 1000base-LX transceiver will work with the LX module on a Procurve. If so, I can make use of this unit. If not, it will wind up on the Ebay listings sooner than desired.

Green

It should work fine with other LX modules.

Again, CAUTION, unless these switches are kilometers apart, you'll need optical attenuation to reduce the signal ... otherwise, you're likely to burn out the receivers.

Good Luck

Scott

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content