cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Fiber connectivity between two offices in Layer 2

ahmad82pkn
Level 2
Level 2

Hi, we have Two Servers that are in cluster, Just like Cisco ASA.

When heart beat between them is broken, second server take over the control by swapping IP addresses.

Previously both servers were in same data center (172.16.11.110 and 172.16.11.111), but now we want to move 1 server to another data center for high availability in case primary server face any localized power issues second server in second data center should take over.

we have procured a P2P Fiber connection between Both data centers, we are about to connect it directly on Core switches on both Data centers.

Can i create Trunk connection between both Core switches and allow one vlan over it that is Vlan 99 as suggested in Diagram attached.

do you see any sort of spanning tree challenges in this design?

Attached is diagram and Red is new Fiber.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

As indicated earlier in my responses, as long as the link to and from the DMZ switch is configured correctly on either side, I do not foresee an STP loop.

Just trunk the vlan 99 and also consider making the the core switch as the root of your vlan with the following command:

spanning-tree vlan 99 priority 0

Are the servers going to be sending keep-alive to each other? I am trying to figure out how the end devices will be able to know which server is currently available, unless you are using a device like the Cisco ACE, which does load-balancing and has the ability to track the availability of servers.

HTH,

Manny.

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

michael o'nan
Level 4
Level 4

How does the server route in DC1? How are you wanting the server to route in DC2? If DC1 is offline and you just have an L2 VLAN between DCs then the server will try to go to DC1 to route.

in DC1 Server is connected to Core switch. so any source will try to access 172.16.11.10 in DC1, if DC1 is offline, then source will still try to access 172.16.11.10 but since Server in DC1 is down, and it has transferred its Role and IP to server in DC2 ( just like Cisco Firewall Failover occurs ) so now when any source try to access 172.16.11.10 again , it receives MAC address of server of DC2 and traffic switch to DC2. does that make sense?

I understand the information you have given. My question is how will users route to the machine? Where is your L3 gateway?

I concur with Michael's line of questioning...With the information you just gave, my thinking is that for this to work you might need a load-balancer of some sort that will keep track of the availability of the servers.

Hi, actually i had some complex stuff going on, so to simplify i made minimum diagram :) here is actual scenario. Previously both primary and backup Server were connected in DMZ behind Cisco ASA, now we want to move one of the server to other Data center. so see attached updated diagram, i am planning to extend Vlan of DMZ to my Core switch in DC1 and then use fiber to reach DC2 for failover server.

does that make sense now ? :-s please suggest if it will work? specially STP concern, else any good alternate suggestions?

As indicated earlier in my responses, as long as the link to and from the DMZ switch is configured correctly on either side, I do not foresee an STP loop.

Just trunk the vlan 99 and also consider making the the core switch as the root of your vlan with the following command:

spanning-tree vlan 99 priority 0

Are the servers going to be sending keep-alive to each other? I am trying to figure out how the end devices will be able to know which server is currently available, unless you are using a device like the Cisco ACE, which does load-balancing and has the ability to track the availability of servers.

HTH,

Manny.

Yes both servers will send keep alive to each other over vlan 99 as well , Same as data.

When primary server will be down, primary server IP will be assigned to secondary server itself ( due to their internal mechanism of servers to Swap IP once heart beat is lost ) so when user PC send request to .10 , DC01 server will not reply since its down, and DC02 server will send response (its MAC address) so that traffic for .10 is directed towards it.  ( i guess so it will work this way , doing it first time : ) )

Looking at the updated drawing I agree with NkiwaneMG

Should be good to go.

Please also note both switches are in different VTP domain ( Because in different DC ) will i get any vtp mistmatch error?

OR any VTP exchange possibility? if so how to tackle it,

Thank you both for your time and input, when i implement it, i will let you know the results. hopefully all good :)

1- To form trunk link between different vtp domains you have to use "switchport nonegotiate" to avoid vtp domain mismatch problem. It forms unconditional trunk link without exchanging DTP packets. In this mode there is no concern for domains mismatch problem.

2- As you are using fiber connectivity don't forget to enable "UDLD" in "aggressive" or "normal" mode (global config)  which is recommended STP fail over feature on fiber optic links.

We have the same scenario in our environment and the Vlan we use for fail-over traffic is where all fail-over traffic traverses.

What you have in the diagram should work and you shouldn't encounter any issues as long as that subnet 172.16.11.x is on Vlan 99.

Typically we segregate our traffic, by having normal server data traffic on a different vlan from the fail-over/control traffic.

Hope that helps,

Manny.

Hi MG, thank you for your feedback, actually once in our another location. we had a fiber, and infrastructure guy connected it on both offices core switches without telling us, and that caused spanning-tree loop and our complete network went down.

i am afraid of same situation, so that's why looking for any precautions measures that need to be taken, before i create dot1q trunking between both core switches, because if we read Cisco recommend DCI standards then dot1q trunking doesnt seem  to be recommended.

For a better understanding of the topology and for everyone to be able to help, you will need to give more information on how the current connectivity is, between the two DCs.

If this is the only connection available between the two DCs, and if trunking is configured only to transport the fail-over vlan, I do not see any reason why you would have a STP loop.

Thanks, HTH,

Manny

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card