cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Fiber/Copper Port Channel Concerns ?

carl.nohrden
Level 1
Level 1

I have (2)6509's with a Sup720 and a new 6748-TX blade. The Sup720 has SFP Gig ports. The two switches reside within 5 feet of each other.

I had already connected the two 6509's together using one of the SFP ports in each switch. I would like to migrate this connection from the SFP port on the Sup720 to the Copper Gig TX port on the 6748-TX.

My question is: Is it possible for me to create a port channel with the existing fiber connection together with the new copper connection? Are there any concerns with doing this?

Thank you.

1 Reply 1

waelalghonimy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

You are right. You can create a channel with ports in different modules. Moreover, it is a good practice to create critical channels ? like that you have ? through ports not on the same module. In this case if a module will go down the link will not be lost. The only concern is the speed and duplex matching between channel ends. If you have a redundant sup in both switches you can create a channel and add a port from each sup to it and if not you can keep the sup link and combined another port (in any Gig modules) to it in a single channel.

Thanks

Wael

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco